Tuesday 25 February 2014

Another day, another beak.

                                                 Well that last beak was pretty messy.
                                       I sent a text to the owl expert hoping for some advice!


Well I'd already tried shaping a beak out of wire and I wasn't happy with the shape, so I had another go with a rawl plug. I liked the idea of wrapping with threads to give me a nice smooth surface.   I stuck a piece of double-sided tape on to hold the threads in place.


 I wrapped the threads round the grooves first and tried to make it a bit neater this time.



I cut a shape from a piece of silky fabric and glued it around the threads to cover.


                                         Then I painted on some highlights with acrylic paint.
                                                 The owl's beak is quite long and sharp.



I  snipped a hole in the fabric and slipped the back of the rawl plug through and glued it in place.


                                               I 've used my heat tool to burn in the nostrils.
                  Well, trying to get this beak to look right tried my patience, but at least I had a go!
                                                                 That's what I think.


 On to the claws.

  Only now,  just when I thought I was getting somewhere, I have to abandon Mr Owl once again to go and help sort out my mother!
AAAGGGHHH!

2 comments:

crazydazy said...

The owl's beak is looking good.
Hope your mother is ok.

snoopysgranny said...

My mum ok, thank you for asking. I am back home again and we have now moved her in to a Care Home where she will be much better off, she's settling in well!