Saturday 27 July 2013

Fermanagh Blackcurrants.

I was given  6 + 1/2 lbs of blackcurrants.
What to do with them all. Make a beaded brooch?  
That's what I thought they looked like in the colander!


It's a tedious job - picking off the stalks.


Worse when you tip the whole lot on to the floor!


My recipe used 1lb blackcurrants, 1 pint of water, 1+1/2lbs sugar.
Bring the blackcurrants + water to the the boil then simmer for 45 minutes to soften the fruit.
Add the sugar and keep it on a rolling boil for 10 - 15 minutes. To know when it's set I use a sugar thermometer but you can test if your jam's set by putting it on a cold saucer and pushing it with your finger. If a crinkly skin has formed, hopefully your jam has set.


I add a knob of butter to remove the scum - then it's time to pot it up!  Ready for breakfast tomorrow.



So this morning I've taste-tested my jam and it tastes good and it's set is just right.  I find it's easier to make in smaller quantities so now I know it's good I'll make some more.
First I'm going to try making some blackcurrant chutney from this recipe I found on a blog while researching blackcurrants!  Life there seems idyllic.
However, blackcurrants and chutney? The two don't seem to go together and I'm curious to see.
It's worth a try.



2 comments:

crazydazy said...

ooooh that looks absolutely delic

snoopysgranny said...

Hi Ali, Yes, turned out very good, I do like making jam and preserves!