Tuesday 16 April 2013

'Blue Tits' pattern tile.

I saw a picture and article on this lovely 'Blue Tits' pattern tile in a magazine.
It was designed by a Dr Christopher Dresser and registered in 1870 by Minton & Co.



I used my Ikea bird fabric again and stitched the blue tit with scraps of fabric, in the same way as I had made the 'woodland bird'.


I cut him out, then turned and tacked the edges to the wrong side.




Then he needed a branch to sit on. I used a piece of linen from a soft furnishings sample book.


I fused a lighter piece of linen on to the back and then cut out the branch and leaves.
.


I painted the branch with acrylic inks.


 Frances Pickering outlines most of the work in her books with a black pen so I tried it out on my branch. It definitely 'lifted' it. 



Time to perch the blue tit on his branch.



Last night I watched a programme on tv called  'The hoarder next door.'
It featured two women, one who hoarded everything imagineable and the other who just liked hoarding anything and everything to do with ladybirds!  You couldn't have moved in their houses.
Well my pile of stuff didn't look so bad after that!


The 'Blue Tits' tile, along with two others, was auctioned at Christie's in London in 2004 for £836.

1 comment:

crazydazy said...

your blue tit looks good.....I saw that programme too........all those ladybirds - amazing.......it made my house look good too!! ali